Saturday, May 24, 2014

My Top Five Outdoor Hot Spots In and Around Ogden

If you have been following the blog you know that Kelsie and I are big fans of the outdoors. Beginning our journey to health couldn't have come at a better time- SUMMER! I have been so excited to get back out in nature and have fun while working out. I recently visited one of our favorite spots- Waterfall Canyon. I'll go into detail why these are my favorite places. Some are for the whole family but I threw some in that would be excellent for older children or would make a great outing for just the adults. *these are in no particular order by the way, they all have their own appeal in my opinion.
1. Waterfall Canyon:
This hike is definitely an attraction to one and all here in Ogden. You will meet people of all types on this gorgeous hike. It doesn't sound ideal, hiking with a bunch of strangers but it is honestly a lot of fun. People are incredibly courteous and always willing to lend a helping hand especially on the last stretch. My husband and I always to try to encourage first timers that seem to be struggling. We let them know it is well worth the effort. The reward at the top is a gorgeous 200 foot waterfall that comes right out the canyon. While challenging, with a few breaks this hike can be done with some of the smaller children. Just have patience and enjoy the climb. :)



2. Wheeler Canyon:
This canyon has such versatility. It has been a favorite for many things including biking, hiking and even family pictures. The canyon is just inside Ogden Valley. It is quite secluded and honestly if you didn't know it was there you would drive right past it. This is a another hike that would be great for small kids. You can make the hike as long as you want or as long as you want. If you take the entire trail you will pop out at Snow Basin Resort. My husband and his friends have biked this trail as well. This definitely raises the difficulty of the trail but that is one of the beautiful things about his trail. the versatility. My family and I have even taken our family pictures at the beginning of the trail head. Gorgeous at any time of year, this is definitely a destination close to home none should miss out on.
 

3. Snow Basin:
This is a biking trail for older kids and adults only. My husband and I took up mountain biking the first summer we were married and this became one of our favorite mountain biking trails. Now, my husband frequently bikes this trail with his close friends including Kelsie's husband Erick. I enjoy this trail personally because it is mostly shaded which keeps you somewhat cool during a ride on a hot summer day. The path is well maintained and offers amazing views along the way.

4. Trail heads from 20th down to Waterfall Canyon
The beauty of Ogden is that you have the convenience of the city with the freedom of the outdoors. Many homes are minutes away from the grocery store and just as close toe trials that make you feel like you are anywhere but in the city. Most trails in Ogden all intertwine and meet up in the same place. Bonneville Shore Line trail. The trail is huge but I have found that i enjoy most the trails that are easily accessible with my family including my baby girl. There are so many trial heads that you can keep from getting bored and try a new one until you find the trail the fits you best. In all, Ogden trails rock!
 


5. 12th Street Parkway
The most family friendly trail I have found has to be 12th Street Parkway. This trail is paved and runs through Ogden along the Ogden river. It is a perfect place for taking your little ones on  their first bike ride. There is also a great park located midway along the trail. This park is perfect for picnics or playing with the little ones on the jungle gym. finally towards the end of the trail is one of my favorite restaurants that is unique to Ogden; Slackwater Pizza.

These are just a few of the great places here in Ogden. All you have to do is look and you can find wonderful outdoor activities and places to escape. You just have to look. But if you are right here in Ogden then here is a head start for you in you outdoor experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment